Thursday, September 23, 2010

Come Stai?

Good gosh it has been awhile since the last time I posted anything! I have been busy with many different things and have neglected my blogging duties.  Life in Italia has been pretty crazy...but in a good way.  I think I have caught my first and hopefully last cold of the season, so pray that I would get over it pretty soon...thanks :) So here are some fun facts about life as a student in Italy...



  • As mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, I am taking four classes. I am taking a core arts and civilization class which everyone has to take, a black and white photography class - and there is only about 7 of us in this class, beginning Italian - there is only 4 of us in this class, and History of Science - and there is only 3 of us in this class...so needless to say my classes are tiny and are going to be pretty personal :)
  • my black and white photography teachers name is Giovanni. He is a precious little old man who makes little noises to describe everything...I love it! So when I come back and I make noises to describe things you will know why!
  • my History of Science professor is legit! He is a professor at the University of Florence and works at the former history of science museum now known as the Galileo Museum.  He definitely knows his stuff! I think he was way surprised though when he found out there was only 3 of us in his class, but I think he enjoys the fact that we are very interested in the topics presented in class. Interesting side note: the Galileo Museum owns 3 of Galileo's fingers...kind of creepy but I guess cool at the same time!
  • Coco Palm has become my favorite gelato destination in town and it is always so hard to choose a flavor
  • My Italian teacher is Lorella. She is very patient with our learning the language and even challenges us to use it in everyday life situations.  for example, today we went to the train station and had to ask about ticket information for different destinations and other small details...a bit challenging but what better way to learn than by being able to actually apply. And what better place to learn Italian than in Italy? :)
  • Paolo is my other professor and he is awesome! From what it seems like his philosophy is the less amount of time we can actually spend in the classroom the better...I am not going to complain! He is our tour guide for most trips and likes to go into deep thought about some subjects from time to time and sometimes loses us in the process...but, he's still fantastic!
  •  compared to the architecture students, who are in studio for the most part, it seems as if I have a little more time to do whatever I want...which usually means taking a siesta or reading in the courtyard (It has a GREAT view of the beautiful scenery that surrounds us).
  • speaking of siestas, the town shuts down from 1-4 everyday for siesta.  It can be annoying some times when we need things but for the most part I think everyone should do siestas!
  • It has been very nostalgic being here...especially since most of the places we have gone to, I went to when I came my senior year of highschool. Which was quite a while ago...good gosh I feel old!
  • I have eaten tons of pasta, bread and pizza. Thankfully with all the walking we do I think I am staying even...and believe me, we do tons of walking, especially on last weekends trip.
  • it is crazy to think that we are about an hour and a half away from Florence and maybe two and a half from Rome and Cortona is practically right next door!
  • I have a cappuccino almost every day along with a "pasta" which means pastry at Hermes which is a local cafe owned by Enzo, who is a old sweet Italian man who always greets me with a "ciao bella!"
  • I have yet to catch a sunrise here, but I will get to that soon!
  • places I have been to so far: Arezzo, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, Tivoli and Assisi 
  • and I think we will be going to Cinque Terre soon so I am way pumped about that! and Fall break is quickly creeping up on us so there has been much buzz about fall break plans. we shall see where I end up going!
There is probably tons that I am leaving out, but there is no way to describe everything that I am experiencing over here...It still blows my mind that I am even here! As my title I put "come stai?" which means "how are you?" and my response to that is "non c'e male" which means "not that bad"... wish I could feel 100%, but Italy is wonderful :)  Photo blog to be posted soon!

Ciao,
Chantel

No comments:

Post a Comment